ATEG Archives

May 2005

From:
"John E. Dews" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 12:09:43 -0700
Hi all,
   Not to annoy anyone with non-grammar posts, but
John is right! G-mail is excellent for list-servs like
this one (I am in the process of transitioning over to
it now). Our conversations our so much more cohesive
and easier to follow! If John should happen to run out
of invitations, I'd be glad to use mine as well for
ATEG members.
   Just to make this e-mail more on-topic -- My class
got into a discussion the other day about G-mail, and
one student analyzed the "G" as a prefix in the same
tradition of the urban slang terms "get G'd-up" (to
dress up in your most attractive clothing) and "my G"
(my good friend). They extrapolated to get the meaning
of G-mail as a mail service for hip-hop enthusiasts!!
I thought it was hilarious (and really not
illogical!).  At least they were applying their mental
grammar to the notion of prefix, yeah?
                                   Jed
--- John Crow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The following is an unsolicited plug for a free new
> program:
>
> I have switched over to g-mail, Google's beta
> version of an e-mail
> program.  It is fantastic, especially for threads
> like we maintain on
> this listserv:  it keeps the entire thread connected
> (they are called
> "Conversations") so that you can see the unread
> messages and click on
> any of the headers of the previous messages to
> re-read them.  It is SO
> MUCH better than having each e-mail message as a
> separate entry in
> some folder.  It also gives you two gigs (yes, gigs)
> of free storage
> for your mail, so you don't have to delete.  And, as
> you might expect,
> the search capability for your e-mail is slick.
>
> If any of you want to try it out, e-mail me at
> [log in to unmask] and
> I will issue you an invitation.  Again, it's free; I
> get nothing from
> this.  But you have to be "invited" by someone who
> already has an
> account in order to get one.  Well worth the effort
> to change over to
> in my opinion!
>
> John
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit
> the list's web interface at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

John (Jed) E. Dews

Instructor, Undergraduate Linguistics

MA-TESOL/Applied Linguistics Program

English Department, 213 Morgan Hall (Office)

University of Alabama