ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
"Crow, John T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:49:19 -0500
Ed and Bill,

Thank both of you for carefully considered responses.

Ed, I must confess that I am a bit confused:  if the goal of KISS is to
teach students to be able to analyze every word of every sentence, how is
that appreciably different from breaking a sentence down "into all of its
components," a goal that I think is too heavy-handed on the grammar facet of
the language component?  KISS looks at everything through a grammar looking
glass, and does it very well, I might add.  But how can one justify spending
that much time on grammar while excluding other crucial areas of language
awareness, some of which could serve as vehicles for further grammatical
analysis in their own rights?

Bill, I am not trying to re-visit the "Argument from Utility."  My question
isn't "Why is grammar useful?".  My question is why is it so important that
we are willing to downplay or ignore other important areas of language?  You
state that "the activity of grammatically analyzing a sentence requires
students to think, carefully and in  detail, about their language."  I
absolutely agree; however, the same could be said for semantic analysis,
phonological analysis, discourse analysis, or pragmatic analysis.  I love
your last sentence:  "And I don't think it's intellectually healthy for
students to get the idea that the modes are domain-specific - that holistic
thinking is only usable in the humanities, and analytic reasoning in the
sciences."  But grammar is only one of several linguistic areas where
analytic reasoning can be applied.  For example, most students have a great
time trying to figure out the rules that govern a child's output at a
certain age.  That "non-standard" English was rule-driven astounded me as an
undergrad.  These types of analyses, many of them grammatical, can be
watered down and made accessible to the average educated adult.  So why do
we spend so much time teaching them to analyze sentences down to the
molecular level, boring them in the process, and driving them _away_ from
language analysis rather than _toward_ it?  Why do we think grammar _per se_
is that important?

John