ATEG Archives

January 2009

Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:20:01 -0500
I can "the Herbert who" and "the Brad that" although I draw the line
without the article (...Herbert, who... but not ...Brad, that...)--no
matter how much Brad wishes to be a "that" and not a "who."  All the
"Thats down in Thatville must moan and groan."

I am a pedant who is not bothered by "We are glad to have him coming"
but who [not 'that'--I am a person] would shudder at "We are honored
by him [ycchhh] coming."  The two would be parsed quite differently.

The use of a and an is governed by the sound (vowel or consonant) that
follows.  No exception.  I say "a herald" but "an heraldic"; "a history"
but "an historical explanation."  I have heard many erudite speakers
(more than likely unconsciously) make the same distinction when giving
an address or lecturing to fellow academicians.

Scott Catledge