ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:37:04 -0500
Omar, Craig, et al.:

The problem may not be so much based on divorcing grammar from
literature as it is divorcing grammar from *language* -- literature is a
particularly important category of language-use that students encounter,
although, of course, not the only one, or even the primary one in their
daily lives. I've noticed two tendencies among my students that I find
problematic, and that I try to counter (albeit with limited success):

1) They view "grammar" as a self-contained system having nothing to do
with    anything except writing class papers.

2) They draw a very sharp distinction between "errors" (defined chiefly
by their treatment in previous K-12 classes) and "improvables"; Craig's
"dimmer switch" is not something they've encountered before. A brief
example: They have no problem considering mistakes with "affect" vs.
"effect" as errors, but they don't consider redundant ("free gift!") or
misleading ("pre-owned vehicle") expressions as subject to the same kind
of criticism.

I suspect (2) is partly built on (1), in that the perceived insularity
of grammar means that whatever logic is behind viewing something as an
error is disconnected from considerations of audience and is not
extended to other areas to which it would otherwise appear relevant.

I *don't* want to expand the range of what students see as errors ("Oh
look! Here are ten new categories of things to worry about all the
time!"), but it would be nice if they had a way of thinking *about* what
it means to call something an error.

-- Bill Spruiell

Dept. of English
Central Michigan University