ATEG Archives

June 1998

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:47:02 -0400
James,
    No, you didn't miss the question, and I appreciate your answer. I still
have a question left, however -- what is the function of the absolute?
Thanks,
Ed

>>> James Vanden Bosch <[log in to unmask]> 06/24/98 03:43pm >>>
Dear Ed,

The word "being" is the verbal part of the absolute phrase, also known
as
the nominative absolute. The absolute phrase is often described as a
reduced form of a complete clause, in this case, a reduced version of
"One
of them is that the patient is in his or her own home."  The "that" clause
functions as the predicate noun of the clause.

Or am I missing your question?

JVB

At 03:34 PM 6/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In the sentence:
>
>There are several factors that strengthen or add to this relationship, one
>being that the patient is in their own home.
>
>How would you explain the function of "being"?
>Of "one"?
>and of the 2nd "that" clause?
>
>Thanks in advance for your responses.
>Ed v.

James Vanden Bosch              (616) 957-6592
Department of English           [log in to unmask]
Calvin College                  fax: (616) 957-8508
Grand Rapids, MI 49546          http://www.calvin.edu/~vand
for PureVoice software:
http://www.eudora.com/epro/purevoice.html