ATEG Archives

August 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:27:40 -0400
Susan,
   I'm using "50 Essays: A Portable Anthology", editor Samuel Cohen, from
Bedford/St. Martin's. In our summer program, we use "Across Cultures"
from the same publisher. There are a number of very good cross cultural
readers available. I use this one partly because of cost. I haven't
totally settled on the readings I'll use, but it's likely to include
work by Sherman Alexie, Alice Walker, Judith Ortiz Cofer, Langston
Hughes, Martin Luther King, Jr. (Letter from a Birmingham Jail),
Barbara Ehrenreich (an excerpt from "Nickel and Dimed"), Nancy Mairs
("On Being a Cripple"), Bharati Mukherjee, and Richard Rodriguez (from
"Hunger of Memory"). Most of these are essays I have used before with
some success. If the interest level is high, students will be willing
to work their way through it.
   In our summer program, the readings center around growing up in America
from the perspective of race, gender, ethnicity, and economic class.
Many of my students are immigrants or the children of immigrants and
all are eligible for the program in part because of documented poverty.
They bring quite a bit to the table in discussions about being
bilingual or bicultural or just surviving the inner city. Students
become better readers when the issues are close to home.

Craig

Craig,