ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:27:53 -0800
1. Yes if explaining it within the traditional framework. No if getting
technical.

2. No. I think the past hypothetical this question is optional, and not
forced on you by the use of 'would.' The past-tense form of modals is
often used for politeness in questions, and not all if-clauses need the
past (subjunctive). IOW the choice of 'would' could be determined by
something other than the hypothetical structure.

3. No. I'm not even sure that they should be responsible for tense
sequence in multi-clause phrases, which you could also use to explain
what the teacher wanted even without invoking the subjunctive.

Karl Hagen
Department of English
Mount St. Mary's College