ATEG Archives

February 2007

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:02:16 -0500
Bruce makes an important point, one that illustrates a more general fact of word formation, namely, that derived forms, like "unseat", have a way of reifying, of taking on meanings that are not analytic.  According to the OED, "unseat", in the sense of "to cause to fall from a horse", first appears in print in Spenser in 1598.  This usage continues into the 21st c.  The derivative, somewhat generalized meaning, "to disturb or disrupt", appears as early as 1609.  The political usage, "to dislodge from some place or position; to deprive of rank or office" arises by 1611.  However, the specific meaning "to deprive of, or depose from, a seat in Parliament or other representative body" doesn't appear until 1834.  I would argue that both the analytic and the derived meanings are current today.  But I would agree that while "unseatable" in its electoral sense is morphologically analytical, it isn't semantically.

By the way, my favorite center-embedded example, that boggles the minds of undergrad grammar students with delightful ease--and leads to very useful discussion--is

The policeman the boy the dog bit called came.

Of course there are also island constraint violations like

Who do you know the man that married?

This one is useful also when discussing relative clauses and question formation.

Herb