ATEG Archives

February 1999

From:
Judy Diamondstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 21:18:24 -0000
Sara raises an interesting question -- Does "subject" somehow
belong developmentally prior to the terms "actor" and "process" --

Actually I do think so. Halliday, I assume you know, reserves the
term "subject" for what he calls "interpersonal" grammar. And
in fact, for me, the relationship between the subject and the
finite, or marker of 'finiteness' in the verb phrase, is
the very heart of grammar. As a first step into what
counts as a clause or a sentence, the distinction has
to be made between the finite and other non-finite forms of the
verb. I am struck by SFG discussions that show
mood (subject-finite relationship) to be the bare bones
of an argument (I can do anything better than you can;
no you can't; yes I can; can't; can) -- I have used
role play successfully to demonstrate the use-value of 'mood' and
'modality' In fact, it's through role play that we (my students &
I) get to "WHY" questions (we first USE language to do something,
then we notice HOW we have used language (what bits of language do
we use if we want to demonstrate a relationship between two characters,
or what bits of language do we use to CHANGE the relationship without
changing the content of what's said), and so we can understand
WHY a certain terminology before we get to WHAT it is.

Michael, I believe the SFG terms for the parts of your sentence,
"Love is blind" would be TOKEN/ VALUE -- the terms for the [2 necessary]
parts of utterances used to name or define things. So I wouldn't
use that sentence to introduce students to functional grammar --
I'd start with the more common-sense distinction ACTOR/ PROCESS
then build up (out?) gradually.

I'm no expert on SFG. The "ideational" grammar is
frustrating to me, precisely because I have not yet learned
the sorts of distinctions needed for very basic sentence
types -- I have yet to work through the "texts" to learn
the grammar. But it tantalizes me, and I keep working
at ways to make use of it in my teaching.

Judy