ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Jo Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:22:08 -0800
Dick,

I can't think of any examples of what you want offhand, but I wanted to
note that "scissors" and "pant" do occur in the singluar, but not as
singulars of the plural form (that is, as an equvalent to the plural
form). "Pant" is used in fashion lingo, for instance if a sales clerk in
a high-end shop is introducing "the latest pant from Donna Karan" or
whatever. I' ve heard "a scissor" in reference to a pair of scissors,
and this might be regional. I recall it from my childhood, perhaps from
a close friend's mother who grew up in Astoria, NY.

I've noticed this use of "troops", and wonder if it is new with this
war. I don't recall hearing it before.

--
Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, Cal Poly State University