ATEG Archives

August 2009

Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:35:52 -0400
At first glance I was hoping that this young person was planning on a trade
that requires minimal literacy.  I have graded many junior papers and this
would have been no higher than the 25th percentile.  At my university,
which, at the time took all Mississippi HS graduates with as few as three
years of high school English (9, 10, 11), this paper in Freshman English
would have received a F for grammar and composition and a C- for content.

If this is an example of a potential West Pointer, the anecdote about
writing comic books to explain how to use technical machinery, including
basic weapons to enlisted men will need updating to include officers.  If
we admit this level of literacy to West Point, why is Army not in serious
competition for national championships in football?

Please help this student with grammar, punctuation, spelling, and basic
paragraph construction at the least.

No, I will not debate my evaluation; TOYOTA--you asked for it, you got it.

N. Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus
history & languages