ATEG Archives

February 2017

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:28:19 -0800
As you say, there’s so much else going on here, to the point where a rewrite may make commenting on “would have” unnecessary, but I’d suggest that at a grammatical level (setting to one side the discourse issues), the student has committed a simple tense error, using “would” when “will” would be more appropriate.

I've found it helpful to show students how tense sequence applies with will/would (and can/could) with “will” and “can” co-occurring with other present-tense verbs, and “would” and “could” with past-tense verbs.

Changing “would” to “will” doesn’t address the other problems, but I think it makes better sense of the author’s intentions.

Regards,

Karl Hagen