ATEG Archives

January 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 23:43:13 -0500
Just one last time, and then you guys can "duke this one out":

Bob, if you dismiss Krashen's "entire body of work as wrong," how can you
agree with him about Free Voluntary Reading, which you called wonderful?
Isn't that part of his work? It seems to me that such a dismissal IS a
dangerously sweeping generalization.

As a teacher who works in the trneches with young American high school
students, I have to say that I have learned some very useful pedagogical
tactics from Krashen's "i+1" idea - even if it IS an innacurate discription
of L2 acquisition (and I am not qualified to speak to this question, so I
won't), it works for me as a teaching model, both in ESL and in the native
English class. So does Sheltered English work, though perhaps not in all
cases (I doubt that "one size fits all" anyway). Any tool that works is a
good tool!

As far as the TV question is concerned, what real evidence is there that TV
is the CAUSE of the current crisis in literacy. It seems to me that proving
cause and effect is nearly impossible. Also, aren't there a myriad of
contributing factors to the low levels of reading among American students?

One other question: How low are these levels? If we have a record number of
students in school, as I believe we do, isn't it true that there might
actually be MORE readers in school today than when we were young? Has anyone
studied this question?

Looking forward to the debate,

Paul E. Doniger
The Gilbert School
"Reason enslaves all whose minds are not strong enough to master her." - G.
B. Shaw