ATEG Archives

January 2009

From:
"Paul T. Wilson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:10:14 -0500
Some time into the 1980's, the non-response as a default assent was
allowed as a means of soliciting participation in research projects. It
was also a way of selling products through the mail:  If you did not
respond by the deadline, the seller presumed that you had agreed to buy
the product, and would send it to you along with a bill.

This form of solicitation for research participation is now frowned upon
in most Human Subjects Institutional Review Boards, and is forbidden for
federally funded projects. As a sales technique, it is illegal. In both
settings, it is an ethically questionable approach, as it is here.

I suggest that those who wish to discuss the issue do do openly, in
public, and that no one reply in private.