ATEG Archives

May 2006

Date:
Fri, 12 May 2006 04:50:00 +0300
Paul E. Doniger wrote:

> The problem for many elementary teachers is that they can't teach
> grammar because they were not trained for the job! Perhaps they also
> don't want to do so, but that may simply be coming from their sense of
> inadequacy in the subject.

Teachers may also feel some anxiety about why it is necessary to teach
certain things. Children do influence teachers and are often resistent
to learning things that they see as "stupid", and this does extend to
other subjects such as math and history. I think that some effort has
been made, particularly in math, to make what children are being taught
relevant to what happens in the world and I have actually seen
interesting grammar books that have been written for students. My own
son's seventh grade grammar book is toxic, in my opinion. I expect that
this is true of many materials currently in use. He is a good writer and
I have managed to convince him that grammar can help him write better,
so he is still hanging on.

Omar