ATEG Archives

October 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 2008 12:23:30 -0700
Apart from the partisan angle, this piece does raise a serious question:
namely, do any of you who use diagramming in your classes (either Reed-Kellogg
or tree) ever try to use it for grammatically ill-formed sentences? And if you
do, what strategies do you use to indicate the location of the error?

My own initial attempts to do so (using the sentence at issue in Florey's
piece) can be found here:

http://www.polysyllabic.com/?q=node/224

I have the feeling, though, that I may be reinventing the wheel. Are there
accepted methods of diagramming grammatical errors and other problems that I'm
simply unaware of?

Karl