ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:28:30 -0500
Ah, interesting!

The only analogous example I can contribute to this thread was created
around the same time, but it has very limited usage.  The Christian
Science church pays people to serve as "Committee on Publication" but
each committee is just one person.  In other words, there's a Committee
on Publication for Florida, one for Georgia, one for Alabama, and each
has the official title, "Committee on Publication, MyState."   I've
always wondered whether this use of "committee" to refer to a single
individual was a more common practice in the late 19th c, but I keep
forgetting to look it up.

Beth Young

Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

In 1882, the calvery officially adopted the term "troop" to identify a
group
of soliders and the term "trooper" to identify the individual. Although
we
no longer have a calvary, my guess is that we still have "troop" as a
shortened form of "trooper."
<http://www.nps.gov/prsf/history/glossary.htm >