ATEG Archives

December 2009

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:53:48 -0700
My take is that he muddied the waters so badly that it is much easier to throw it all out.  I hope I didn't throw any baby out with it. I have entered a subscription and plan to look at some of his other essays.  My jury is still out.  Society has done quite well with whatever standard was set up whether it was a foot or a meter.  He seems to think that language itself is the measure, but it is the linguistic theory that measures language.  I don't think the issue is with there being a single standard.  As of 1979 linguists had proposed over 30 major theoretical frameworks (models) for grammar (syntax).  I think the point can be made that all of them eventually led to contradictions, not really much better than traditional grammar.  The models have become 20th century prescriptions based on what linguists took as important in language study.