ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 02:39:43 -0500
I suspect that Southeastern double modals are more likely a historical inheritance than a regional innovation.  Double modals weren't unusual in Middle English or Early Modern English.  The fact that Standard English doesn't have them is because it's lost them.  Your suggestion that this is "yet another case of spoken dialect reducing the number of words and keeping the meaning" assumes that the standard dialect that the standard has a source relationship to non-standard relationships rather than being simply another variety of English, albeit the economically, politically, and socially successful one.  Of course, the elliptical nature of spoken language is a characteristic of speech as opposed ot writing, and, since most writing is in Standard Written English, not non-standard dialects, spoken language will often appear to leave things out that are recoverable from context.

Herb