ATEG Archives

December 2020

From:
"Pratt, Leslie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Dec 2020 16:58:48 +0000
I have myself twisted around a capitalization question, which I am sure I am completely overthinking at this point.  I’m hoping for clarification to help remedy my cloudy thinking.  😊

Question #1:  Is the “F” in the phrase “French-speaking countries” capitalized?  My thought is YES French is capitalized because it is a specific language name that just so happens to be used as an adjective.  (The hyphen is optional but adds it adds clarity so I opt to consistently include it.)

Question #2: Is the “F” in “francophone countries” capitalized?  My thought is no because francophone is functioning as an adjective in that construction.  Are there circumstances where francophone would be capitalized?