ATEG Archives

May 2017

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2017 12:42:51 +0000
I enjoyed the semi-colon article (thanks, Nick!) and now this fun quiz (thanks, Dick!)

I'm going to guess that #3 and #1 were joined by semicolons in the original Vonnegut.

#3 because the two clauses seem closely related. I can imagine them being joined with a comma, even.

#1 by process of elimination. In #2 and #4, the second clause repeats some of the words of the first, so their connection is signaled by the word choice, meaning less need for semi-colon.

I look forward to seeing the answers! This would be an interesting activity to do with students when the semi-colon question arises. It would be fun to ask THEM to locate semi-colons in published work (or passages that could use semi-colons) and to make an activity from their selections, too.

Beth

Beth Rapp Young, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of English