ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
"Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 13:31:07 -0700
This is interesting.  I live in the Northwest and teach at an
institution where the majority of students are Hispanic.  One of my
students is an immigrant about forty years old.  I've come to know him
fairly well; he always refers to me as Miss Janet.  He's the only
student I have who does this.  My impression with him is that Ms.
Castilleja is too formal but Janet is too informal. Maybe in some
contexts this is a reasonable response to this issue.

Janet Castilleja
Basic Skills Coordinator
Heritage University
Toppenish WA