ATEG Archives

April 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Apr 2005 19:10:29 -0700
Bill, two thoughts:

1 - I've heard that you can get in trouble if you use student work
without the student's written permission. Nowadays, if I think I might
want to keep student work for use as examples, I ask a whole class to
sign a consent form, with the option of not signing, of course.

Maybe you do this already. But if you don't, it might be good to ask
around among publishers.

2 - Some thoughts on word analysis and the dictionary. I do believe it
is crucial that students learn how to use a dictionary and what it is
for. What I fear is the exaggerated authority people give to
dictionaries. There is a longstanding idea that the dictionary, not the
language user, is the only repository of word meanings and how words
divide up. If I were teaching word analysis, I wouldn't start with the
dictionary. I would start by having students use their own knowledge of
English to analyze words. This is good training, not only in word
analysis, but in stepwise, disciplined thinking. It can also be used to
demonstrate how detailed that knowledge is -- e.g., the generality of
regular inflectional affixes as opposed to derivational ones (we can say
"payment" and "refusal" but not "payal" and "refusement"). It can also
bring forward the idea of productivity: which suffixes are still very
active in forming new words? "-ment" is probably much more productive
than "-al", if either is still productive. The dictionary can be brought
  in to see how much it agrees with student's intuitions, why it might
not, and how we work with that, along with the other needs a dictionary
serves.

Lots of fun can be had with words!

Johanna Rubba   Associate Professor, Linguistics
English Department, California Polytechnic State University
One Grand Avenue  • San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Tel. (805)-756-2184  •  Fax: (805)-756-6374 • Dept. Phone.  756-2596
• E-mail: [log in to unmask] •      Home page:
http://www.cla.calpoly.edu/~jrubba