ATEG Archives

October 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:45:47 -0400
Johanna,
  I think these distinctions are very important, so I'll rephrase the
essence of my position incorporating your distinctions.

   Minimalist approaches seem based on a belief that we can coax intuitive
uses of punctuation without much conscious metalanguage or conscious
attention. As far as I know, no one has ever been able to denonstrate
that in practice. One problem is that we seem to continue to insist on
"correctness" in reference to rules that are syntactically based and
syntactically described. We don't seem ready or willing to relax those
rules, at least for important public and academic discourse. This puts
us in the situation of asking students to conform to rules that are not
explicitly stated, or which are explicitly stated only in a language we
have not prepared them to understand.
   The alternative would be to deepen their understanding of these
conventions and them leave them free to amend those practices in
thoughtful ways.
   Since the punctuation system itself is highly functional, I don't think
we are about to cast it out. But when students can write functionally
in part because they break or amend or stretch these guidlines, then we
need to be responsive to that. There are arbitrary aspects to the
system, but it is essentially a functional system, not merely a
"correct" one. These are tools, and best learned in terms of what they
can help the writer accomplish.

Craig
   I think it's natural for us to evolve a metalanguage to talk about
language, and that parents do that all the time when they tell their
children they can't talk to grandma that way or even to stop lying or
be honest or apologize, and so on.

I don't have much time these days to follow or contribute to