ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 20:06:45 -0400
Dick,

I can't agree that the use of "today" in the first sentence is a subject
complement. The word doesn't complement the noun phrase, "The exam," but
modifies the (unstated or implied) main verb, "given." The sentence really
reads: "The exam was (given) today."

This reading still indicates that "today" is an adverb of time.

As I learned it, a subject complement is either going to be a noun or an
adjective. "Today" is neither.

PED