ATEG Archives

June 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 09:22:35 -0400
Gretchen,

What a delight to have you join the conversation!  You may find it interesting
to know that in my undergrad/grad course in grammar for teachers, I have
actually developed a sequence of about 22 grammatical concepts that I've been
having my students teach to classmates as mini-lessons.  As students sometimes
point out, I seem to be violating my own principle in doing this, since the
mini-lessons aren't all in the context of the students' immediate needs as
writers.  I point out I am trying to help them learn a wider range of
grammatical concepts for teaching editing skills and stylistic options.  Thus
I'm "covering" grammatical concepts much more than my book would lead you to
think--or to use Martha's metaphor, I'm working on the planks so that these
teachers and teachers-to-be don't fall through the cracks.  Furthermore, we
spend considerable class time looking at literary and student writing models (a
la Noden) and working on these aspects of grammar in their own writing.  Even
so, most students have difficulty making the transfer, even with small group and
individual help.  Maybe I need to teach ALL these concepts in the context of my
students' own writing?  But of course that hit-and-miss approach has other
pitfalls, as Martha too has pointed out.

I was intrigued by a recent posting suggesting that not only do children learn
to understand and speak a language more readily than adolescents and adults, but
they also find it easier to develop the metalanguage for talking about
language.  Is this supported by research?  Another issue that intrigues me:  I
find that students who are really good in math are usually good at grammatical
analysis.  Have any of the rest of you noticed such a connection or read
research on it?

Connie Weaver