ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Seth Katz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2004 13:42:35 -0600
Ed--

Hmmm.

The questions are:
1.) Do you agree that "played" would be a subjunctive here?
2.) Do you agree that "play" would be an error?
3.) Do you think that second graders should be accountable for
subjunctives?
4.) If your answer to (3.) is affirmative, how would you teach them?

My answers:
1.) I guess I would have to say that "played" is a subjunctive; also, to my
ear, I would say "played," not "play."
2.) That said, I can hear "play" here as a subjunctive with "were to"
elided:

Would you like it if I were to play at Kids' Castle with you?

3.) Second graders should only be held accountable for subjunctives if we're
going to hold their parents accountable for them ;-)
I have a highly articulate 3rd grader and a fairly normal kindergartner.
The highly articulate 3rd grader might get the concept, but would not (and
does not) use the subjunctive consistently.

Wow.  I look forward to hearing more about the teacher.

Seth

Dr. Seth Katz, Assistant Professor
Coordinator of Composition
Department of English