ATEG Archives

May 2001

From:
shun Tang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 16:30:36 +0800
Dear Rosanne,

You wrote:
> Actually, more than one tense can be used in a paragraph, even in
> adjacent sentences,

My reply: No one will be so naive as to conclude that there can be only one
kind of tense in a paragraph. Or else, we will fall into again the
difficulty between Simple Past paragraph and Present Prefect paragraph.

I just explained that in the following situation:
Ex: Yesterday I saw a new department store open around my home. I bought
many things from it.
== We may not have a hectic argument on using Simple Past or Present
Perfect. In my website I call this combination as {Past + Past}.

Or will you explain, in this above example, why you can use Present Perfect
(for the second sentence)? Because of Perfective aspect? Current relevance?
Resultative Perfect? Or a period up to the present? (Present Perfect relates
to more jargons than you can collect.)

On the other hand, in some situations, we can only use {Past + Perfect}.
That is, the timeline of the situations demands the use of Present Perfect.
This has been explained in my humble website.

Thank you for your attention.

Shun
englishtense.com