ATEG Archives

November 1999

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:52:54 -0700
The article "We're Prescriptivists. Isn't Everyone?" by Bob Yates
and Jim Kendel is one of the most impressive and scholarly
essays on classroom grammar that I have seen.

www2.pct.edu/courses/evavra/ATEG/P10N03.htm

It is a most rigorous extension of, or reply to, Geoffrey Nunberg's
article in the Atlantic Monthly.  The only difference is that the
ATEG article is more intensively academic, less general public.

This much scholarly rigour and detail is rare and very difficult.  We
more often see the brief reference to historical work, than
thoroughgoing work with the text, like in "We're Prescriptivists."
The paper has a level of academic solidity that I, in my rather
frantic erratic style, have never really been very strong in.

R.E.