ATEG Archives

June 2004

From:
"Muller, Barbara" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:24:06 -0600
 My tip is also "simple-minded," but it does help freshman writing students
in choosing between "effect" and "affect."

I tell them that (usually) they can confidently choose "affect" if they are
using the word to imply an action and that they can remember to make that
choice by noting that both "affect" and "act" or "action" begin with an "a."
Occasionally (not as often as I'd like), a student will point out that
"effect" (as in "to effect a change") also implies an action.  Then we
discuss exceptions.  But this simplistic little mnemonic device usually
seems to help in the most common situations.

Thanks for all the excellent information and food for thought. As one of
those in the trenches of community college teaching, I find the questions
and responses both intellectually stimulating and practically
helpful.

Barbara Muller