ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:57:42 -0500
John,
    I posed the statement about what students should know in terms of
high school because I was looking for the minimum that we could all
agree on. At that time, the members of ATEG would not agree that high
school graduates should be able to recognize clauses. In the KISS
Approach, clauses are the focus of grades 7, 8, and 9, i.e., middle
school.
    I also agree with Bill Spruiell. Within KISS, students learn to
identify subordinate clauses by recognizing their function as an
adjective, adverb, or noun.
     To support Diane's statement, I do not teach English majors or
future teachers. Many of my students are going into trades. But they too
are often annoyed that they were not taught basic recognition of
subjects, verbs, and clauses in their schools.
Ed

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/21/04 09:09AM >>>
Ed,

Nice clarification.  I absolutely agree with you.  Paul's emendation
that
this skill be an _entrance_ requirement for high school is
well-received.  I
have never taught at that level, so I have to defer to the judgment of
others.  All I know is that I came out of the seventh grade knowing
subjects, verbs, and clauses.

John