ATEG Archives

July 2009

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:32:29 -0700
I know I'm going to regret this, but here I go anyway (with apologies to the
rest of the list for feeding the trolls):

Errors like those committed by your goddaughter are obvious to all native
English speakers. No one here would say they are correct and your parody of "an
English teacher" is a straw-man argument. Plenty of us, however, would say that
our time is better spent working on other issues of communication rather than
worrying about every single error. Do you interrupt your conversation with your
goddaughter to correct every mistake she makes? Or are you more focused on the
content of the conversation?

But this sort of error has nothing in common with your fixation.

What you claim are errors with the perfect are NOT seen as errors by native
speakers (apart from yourself), including many highly educated people with vast
knowledge of what is and is not acceptable in Standard English. They are not
seen as errors by usage books.

Moreover, what you claim is correct usage is in fact condemned as a vulgar error
by many usage books of an older generation.

I find it ironic that the grammarians who are closest in attitude towards your
view of language would be precisely the ones most likely to condemn your usage
for being semi-literate.

In short, you can mock descriptivists all you want. The fact that you do it
poorly, and with little understanding of the real issues involved makes you look
silly, but even if you managed it better it wouldn't buttress your case in the
slightest, because even by the strictest of old-fashioned prescriptive
standards, the "error" you worry about exists only in your own mind.