ATEG Archives

October 1999

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:21:29 -0400
Hello folks!

Call me old-fashioned; call me crazy; call me whatever, but I can't remember
any instance of the verb "has" being a form of "to be." Did I miss
something? When did "have" become a linking verb?

While I'm asking questions, let me also ask: Isn't the prepositional phrase
construction, "in the ... " answering the question, "Where?" If so, doesn't
that make it adverbial? After all, the sentence in question isn't saying,
"Sally has an in-the-foot migraine."

In any case, unless this is a piece of absurdist literature or a study in
psychosis, the whole idea of having a migraine in one's limbs makes no
sense.

Help!

Paul D.