ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2008 08:45:45 -0400
With my classes I used to start with Leonard Bloomfield's definition, "A word is a minimal free form."  A word is the smallest thing that you can say by itself without changing its phonological shape.  So you can pronounce "house" and "houses" but you can't pronounce the plural suffix by itself, at least not without changing how it sounds or having some phonetic training.  In classes where we could explore this definition more deeply, we'd look at the difference between a lexical word and a phonological word.  Lexically, we call "the" a word, but as used in the sentence "The batter hit the ball," you have to either say "the" stressed and with the vowel of "mud" or, with phonetic training, you pronounce it as the unstressed syllable it is, complete with reduced vowel, something most speakers can't do.  So this would mean that the phonological words would be "the batter" and "the ball."  This would get us into the question of what sort of unit "the" is, which would introduce the notion "clitic" a category of form with the property of affixes that it must be attached to something, namely a phrasal category, and the property of a word that it can't be attached to a word root."

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University