ATEG Archives

May 2007

From:
Nancy Tuten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 16:25:59 -0400
Yes, I'd be willing to bet it originated in the South--the same place where
young children are taught by their parents to call the parents' closest
friends "Aunt [FIRST NAME]" and "Uncle [FIRST NAME]."

I'm not kidding. The added familiarity suggests fondness and great respect.

Nancy L. Tuten, PhD
Professor of English
Director of the Writing-across-the-Curriculum Program
Columbia College
Columbia, South Carolina
803-786-3706