ATEG Archives

June 2007

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:11:09 -0400
I've heard sentences like that too, but I thought they used semi-colons. "We'll finish our homework; then, we'll eat supper." :)

Beth

>>> Dawn Burnette <[log in to unmask]> 6/1/2007 9:19:58 AM >>>
Great question. I remember when "so" was NOT considered a coordinating  conjunction. In school I learned the acronym FANBOY, but now it's  FANBOYS. I've also noticed lately that many people use "then" as a  coordinating conjunction. We'll finish our homework, then we'll eat  supper. It drives me crazy, but perhaps "then" -- and "only" -- will be  the next coordinating conjunctions??
  Dawn Burnette

Peter Adams <[log in to unmask]> wrote:  I  think it's clear that "and," "but," and "or" are coordinating  conjunctions, but I'm worried about the others, particularly "for" and  "so."

  And if "for" and "so" are coordinating conjunctions, how about "only" in a sentence like this:

  He would have received an A, only he forgot to turn in his final paper.

  Peter Adams

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface at:       http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html  and select "Join or leave the list"    Visit ATEG's web site at http://ateg.org/