ATEG Archives

June 2007

From:
Craig Unix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:41:13 -0400
   I am usually delighted when someone finds a problem in my book
because it means they were reading it closely enough to notice. And I am
planning to rewrite the sentence so that even a few people aren't taken
aback by it. The original context was this:
   "As we discussed in chapter 3, not only do determiners open a noun
phrase, but when more than one occur, these seem locked into a
heirarchical structure of their own:...
   In my mind at least, "more than one" stands in for "determiners". The
noun phrase in its unellipsed form would be "more determiners than one."
"When more determiners than one occur, these seem locked..." But I can
certainly see the pull of one toward the singular. "When more than one
determiner occurs, these seem locked..." Though here the plural "these"
seems to set up an inconsistency, singular verb and plural pronoun
divided only by comma.  So the solution is to rewrite the sentence with
"two or more". "When two or more determiners occur, these seem locked..."
   An interesting problem.

Craig