ATEG Archives

November 2004

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 13:21:10 -0800
I agree that the ambiguity comes from understanding the when-clause as
an adjunct vs. a complement. There's also a difference in that the
adjunct interpretation is not a relative clause while the complement
interpretation is. I'm not sure that the rest follows, though.

Subjecthood isn't really determinative. First, the subject is an
external complement, which typically has different constraints than
internal complements. Also, to note that the relative clause can be a
subject doesn't show it's an NP. That confuses form and function. All it
shows is that clauses can be subjects. That, therefore, clauses can be
direct objects doesn't follow. After all, a content clause can be a
subject, but not the object of a preposition.

Karl Hagen
Mount St. Mary's College
Department of English