ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Jan Kammert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:13:46 -0800
I keep coming back to the fact the many teachers were never taught grammar
themselves.  When I was hired to teach U.S. history, I was able to take
several classes at my local university.  I HAD taken U.S. history
previously, but I knew I needed a refresher.

I have NEVER been taught grammar.  When I tried to take a grammar class in
college, it turned out not to be grammar.  Today when I search for a
summer grammar class at any college in my area, I cannot find it.  How can
I ever teach something the I don't understand well myself?  I think
colleges have an obligation to teach students if they think K-12 teachers
should understand grammar.
Jan

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Paul E. Doniger wrote:

>   Dear Cynthia
>
>   You asked:
>
>   "Is grammar really so scarcely taught in most US high schools? If it is
not taught much, I would be interested in hearing from high school teachers
the rationale behind such a curriculum."

>   The problem, as I see it, is that the question is directed at the wrong
group. Grammar is either rarely taught or poorly taught in the elementary and
middle schools - and many who DO teach it there feel obligated to do so in
secret! As far as high school is concerned, I see a similar problem, but by
the time kids enter high school, they really need a secure grounding in
grammar. It's probably too late to teach grammar for the FIRST time to 9th
through 12th graders! At this level, we should be USING grammar, not
instructing students in it (i.e., high school students should know that 'is'
is a verb and that 'good' is an adjective); but without the foundation
instruction earlier in their education, it seems nearly impossible for
students to make good conscious use of grammar in writing and reading
instruction. Instead they rely on instinct to write and to negotiate texts.

>   I know many high school teachers who, like myself, try to use grammar in
their classrooms but feel hamstrung by the lack of skills that students bring
up with them from middle (or junior high) school. On the other hand, I know
many who also think that the teaching of grammar has gone out with the
dinosaur and should not come back. The only rationale for such thinking comes
from those past publications and NCTE resolutions that this listserve and
ATEG have taken so often to task.