ATEG Archives

March 2010

From:
"Katz, Seth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:53:13 -0600
As soon as we start discussing various distinctions in describing patterns of verb complementation, it is worth mentioning Beth Levin's extraordinary work on the topic, English Verb Classes and Alternations (Chicago: U of Chicago P, 1993). Levin identifies over 300 different verb complement patterns in English, organizing her study in terms of groups of verbs with related meanings.

I liked Dick's analysis, which set this use of "worry" parallel with other verbs of thought or intuition ("understood," "feared," "regretted"). Right away, I also heard a parallel with verbs related to speech: you could slot verbs like "said," "exclaimed," or "shouted" into the same sentence as in

Wemberly exclaimed that she might drip on her new dress.

But I've always had a problem with treating such verbs as taking direct objects: for core examples of transitive verbs, I tend to favor verbs that involve physical action directed at material objects: "eat," "hit," or "drive." But I think that what one does to the utterance when one speaks is very different from what one does to the food when one eats, or the object one hits.  To call an utterance the direct object of "said" doesn't seem to me to be parallel with calling an apple the direct object of "eat." Levin, of course, makes many such distinctions; but there is the practical problem of how many verb complementation patterns we can teach in a class of junior high, high school or college students.

I would treat Bruce's examples ("worry about", "hope for", "rejoice over") as phrasal verbs that take direct objects.  I would also offer that there is a variation on the original sentence that keeps the "about" of "worry about" and takes a noun clause as a direct object:

Wemberly worried about whether she might drip on her new dress.

Dr. Seth Katz
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Bradley University