ATEG Archives

July 2010

From:
Julie Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:07:30 -0600
Would it be diagrammed thus?: "am" is the verb, "delighted" is the predicate adjective, and "to have met" an adverbial attached to "delighted" (answering "why" or "how")?

Is diagramming passe here? I'm new to the list.

Julie J. Nichols, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of English and Literature
Utah Valley University MS 153
800 West University Parkway
Orem UT 84058
801-863-6795
>>> "Brad Johnston" <[log in to unmask]> 07/22/10 8:01 PM >>>
I might say, "I was delighted to meet your parents yesterday".

Or I might say, "I am delighted to have met your parents yesterday".

What is the verb in the second sentence? What is, "am delighted to have met"?

Or should I not use the form, even though the delight carries into the present?

.thanks.brad.22july10.

I know I should not say, "I was delighted to have met your parents yesterday",
even though linguists sometimes hear it on the streets.