ATEG Archives

September 2005

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:05:11 -0500
Ed - It's me - Geoff - and once this administratively-laden week is over,
I'll try to give you a more detailed response.  But to give you a brief
example right now, my concerrn with KISS terms can be illustrated by the
focus on the preposition (please forgive me if my KISS references are not
completely accurate - it's been a while since I've visited the site).  As I
recall, your belief is that a preposition is something that students should
know a lot about.  I start with the premise that every student already knows
what a preposition is, and the fact that they don't know what to call it is
fairly irrelevant.  For example, no native speaker would fail to complete
the sentence "'She put the book on. . ."  Knowing that they are using a
prepositional phrase is not very useful - UNLESS you are teaching the
student to create meaning with the phrase.  For example, I teach my students
to create "WHERE" meaning by using a list of "WHERE" prepositions - the list
is quite long and extremely useful if the goal is to write intentionally.
However, the focus is not on prepositions but rather on the creation of
meaning using this particular construction that they already know - but
don't know that they know!  A similar argument can be made for simple
adverbs and adverb combinations (i.e., "late last night" or "early yesterday
morning") and for dependent clauses.

Good discussion!  More later.

Geoff