ATEG Archives

July 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2008 21:49:59 -0400
John,
   I want to start by offering an apology. It was not right for me to
respond critically to your post in another post. "Tricks" does seem a
loaded term. You have every right to feel angry and offended. It was
careless of me and wrong. And I certainly know your approaches to
grammar enough to understand that this is not an end point for you.
   Here's what I worry about. First of all, many nouns can't be made
plural and can't be preceded by "the". So you need naturally to work
through those exceptions.
   In a sentence like "I love justice," which is the noun? You can make
love plural and precede it with "the", but you can't do that with
justice.
   Or how about "I did escape, but my escape was short-lived." Is escape a
noun in both instances? It passes the noun test, as do so many other
words that are both nouns and verbs or nouns and adjectives.
   Why can  I say "the village of Valatie" but not "the
Valatie?"
   If I come home and tel my family "I saw the cow on my way home," they
are likely to think I have lost my bearings. They will think they are
supposed to know which cow I am talking about. does that mean "cow" is
not a noun in that instance?
   If we retain the sentence context for these words, the problems don't
go away. "I admire her voice." I can't add "the" to this: "I admire her
the voice." Does that mean voice is not a noun? No, it means the
determiner slot is already taken up; but what is that slot? What
function does "the" perform? There's a whole system of modification
that allows us to ground an otherwise vague common noun within a
discourse context. If we learn how to identify a noun through purely
formal grounds (which I think can only happen if you carefully control
the examples), we miss the  opportunity to look closely at a very rich
and interesting meaning system.
   I agree that memorizing a definition of "person, place, and thing" is
not a substitute for a real exploration of language, and it will only
get you so far along the path. But I think there is a cognitive basis
for nounhood, and person, place, or thing isn't a bad place to start.
It's not complete, but it's not trivial. You can say persons, places,
and things tend to be named by nouns, but you can't say that nouns are
persons, places, and things. It's a smaller, but very central category.
On a very basic level, our first introduction to noun is a sort of
"bounded entity", and that gets extended out metaphorically in
different ways in different cultures.
   One point I don't hear people saying is that pretty much anything can
be nominalized, including whole clauses. We have discourse needs that
push that process.
    I don't want to conflate your approaches with the formal approaches I
am trying to challenge. I apologize again. You're right; I don't have
the most gracious way of saying things. I think if our primary concern
is how to classify words and sentences, and if we spend all our time
looking at the formal evidence for classification, we will end up with
an approach to grammar that does not translate over to reading and
writing.
    I am  in the uncomfortable position of trying to say that we should
step back and wonder if our approaches are at all useful. And since so
many people are vested in those approaches (hey, I'm disagreeing with
myself), it's hard to do it tactfully.
   In the U.S., we are heirs to a tradition of formal grammar that runs
against the grain of our traditional school grammar. I don't think
either camp can win the battle. And whole language approaches to
reading and writing (which proponents believe can proceed without
direct attention to language except for "literary elements") are
enabled by theoretical view that the grammar of the language is merely
formal and innate.
    Again, though, I apologize. I have gained a great deal from talks with
you over the years and had no right to respond so carelessly.

Craig

 Craig,