ATEG Archives

August 2005

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:48:21 -0700
Not all auxiliaries are modal. "Be, do, have" are not modal
auxiliaries. The core modals are can, could, may, might, must, shall,
should, will, would. Other verbs, such as "ought to, have to", express
modal meanings. Modals have what are called "deontic" meanings, having
to do with ability (can), possibility (can, may, might), permission
(can, may), obligation (should, must), and intention (will) and
"epistemic" meanings, which indicate the speaker's surmise or a
conclusion reached without direct evidence ("The lights are on; they
must be home").

"Used to" is an aspect marker: it marks past habitual actions ("Back
then, I used to run 5 miles every morning") or past durative states
("That house used to be green"). It is similar in this way to
aspect-marking "would" ("Back then, I would run 5 miles every morning")
(note that aspect-marking "would" is not the same as modal "would", as
in "If I could, I would run 5 miles every morning"). Huddleston &
Pullum (p. 115) call it "the most marginal of the auxiliaries" and
"highly defective" (in the sense that it doesn't have usual verb forms
such as present tense, gerund or participle or past participle (in its
habitual meaning).

I recently read a biography of Samuel Pepys, who lived in the
1500-1600's. I wish now that I had made a note of the examples, but
quotations from his writings had "use" as an indicator of habit,
perhaps in tenses other than past. It has fossilized so that now we
only use the past tense form, and the "to" is not really separable from
the "used" (this is similar to the obligation sense of "have to"). Note
the completely fixed form of it in expressions like "I'm not used to
it."

The whole area of verbs that accompany other verbs (with and without
"to") is complex and interesting in English, with changes under way
that take centuries and are at different points for different verbs.
The modals listed above used to have non-auxiliary meanings and used to
inflect fully, like main verbs. We can't expect things to fit neatly
into pigeonholes in this area of grammar. The verb "use" as an
indicator of habit is clearly on its last legs.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374