ATEG Archives

December 2007

From:
peyman javadi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:50:05 -0800
--- Ben Varner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi, John--
>
> Why have them purchase a text?  Here are interactive
> websites which will accomplish the same purpose:
>
> http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/
>
> http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/index2.html
>
> http://eleaston.com/writing.html
>
> http://www.chompchomp.com/menu.htm
>
> http://soli.inav.net/~jmcclure/compsites.htm
>
>       Ben Varner
> --
> Feature Editor
> Academic Exchange Quarterly
> http://rapidintellect.com/AEQweb/edpbva.htm
>

> > I'm almost wondering if I have been removed from
> the list-serve since I
> > haven't seen a single message for a month, but I
> guess it makes sense
> > with end of semester duties and the holidays.
> >
> > Anyway, I wanted to take advantage of the
> collective knowledge of this
> > group to try and find a text that I can recommend
> to my freshman writing
> > students who show interest in studying grammar on
> their own, which seems
> > to happen at least once a semester. Is there a
> really good text that
> > presents grammar in a functional way that is
> accessible to
> > undergraduates and that does not resort to
> ridiculously contrived
> > examples and drill?
> >
> > John Whicker
>
> To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit
> the list's web interface at:
> and select "Join or leave the list"

John,

I tend to agree with Dr. Varner, but I see your point
about the books as well. However, those sites are
excellent and I am glad that you will be recommending
and using them.

Dr. Varner, thanks for those sites; I will also take a
look at them and try and use them.

 By the way, with all the snow falling here in
Colorado recently(falling again today), I am reminded
of that wonderful book of Job, which says that God
tells to snow, "thou fall on the earth."  I am
grateful God controls the climate; we certainly needed
the moisture.
I think that I will enjoy this snow and watch the
Chronicles of Narnia today.

Happy new year to all.

Peyman Javadi

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs