ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"Katz, Seth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 15:54:22 -0500
How about divorcing pronunciation from orthography (as in Chinese, where the same written character has the same meaning everywhere, whether the speaker pronounces the character in Mandarin, Cantonese, or any of the other langauges spoken in China).

Oh. Wait: we already have that, as when the Southerner says 'peen' to name the object I call a 'pen.'

Dr. Seth Katz
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Bradley University