ATEG Archives

May 2004

From:
Nancy Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 12:21:55 -0400
I think where and when you pay close attention to citation style depends
on what you are doing and why.  I don't think too many students actually
learn a citation style when they are forced to use it.  Or, they learn
it for the immediate context and then forgot et.  Learning is much more
likely to happen when students feel they have meaningful tasks to do.

I think my message is that we can get way too focused on something that
doesn't really affect meaning or content in a piece of writing, and use
that focus to keep students from being successful writers in the moment
because of a rather robotic attention to citation style.  Should some
attention be placed on it. Of course. I'm not suggesting otherwise. But
my experience, again, is that "real" editors either clean up little
goofs, or don't notice them.  I know some teachers who will grade a
paper down if there are citation style irregularities.  There's no
change to fix the mistakes. It's the "Hey, I say in my syllabus that you
have to use APA style correctly." And on the tasks we ask them to do
aren't spaces in which to learn but hoops to jump through in order to
get to the good stuff in life.

I think that's kind of sad.

Nancy G. Patterson, Assistant Professor
Literacy Studies Program Coordinator