ATEG Archives

January 2004

From:
Edward Vavra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:07:40 -0500
Dawn,
    Where can I get a copy of your Daily Grammar Practice? Depending on
how you define terms, I might want to recommend it as either a companion
or a preparation for the KISS Approach.
Thanks,
Ed

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/21/04 02:37PM >>>
Diane,
I teach high school English.  Years ago I developed a no-frills method
for teaching grammar concepts without meaningless and repetitious
exercises.  It proved to be very effective for helping my students
truly
understand the concepts, see how they fit together, apply them to
their
writing, and remember them.  (High school teachers will tell you that
they "teach" grammar but students don't remember it!)  Last year I
published this method (Daily Grammar Practice), and teachers are
currently using it in 19 different states.  When I teach workshops and
speak at conferences, teachers tell me again and again that their
education professors never taught them HOW to teach grammar, and many
aren't even comfortable with their own understanding of grammar
concepts.  I really believe this problem needs to be addressed at the
teacher-preparatory level (although certainly not only at that level).
Future teachers need to know that you can teach grammar without
teaching
it in isolation.  Many think that teaching it in context somehow means
not teaching it at all.  Understanding grammar and sentence structure
WILL help your students with their writing, and it will give them a
common language for discussing the writing process.
Dawn