ATEG Archives

March 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:05:26 -0500
Bob,
   I don't want to get into the middle of a very rich and interesting
theoretical talk by thoughtful linguists, but I do want to say that
comparing Molly Ivins wonderful coinage to the kind of things kids do
when they haven't evolved an adult grammar is not productive.  Somehow,
we need a view of grammar that helps us all become better at using the
language, a way of differentiating between accident and orchestration,
between awkwardness and genius. She may have lucked upon the construct,
but she liked it and kept it and used it, and whether or not it works
has everything in the world to do with its real world (rhetorical)
context. I would like to be able, in a classroom, to talk to students
about it as an extension of the usual transitivity of the verb and ASK
THEM what they think it means and whether they find it effective within
its context.  I would also like them to understand that writers stretch
the language in order to carry out important purposes, and I would like
them to admire writing that accomplishes that in creative and
interesting ways. Whether we use SFG for that or not is a secondary
question.
     Molly Ivins makes me laugh and makes me think.  Much can be gained
by looking at how she does that and how the grammar of her text helps
carry out those wonderful purposes. In order to do that, I need to work
with a grammar that acknowledges that those questions MATTER, not a
grammar that tells me they are unimportant and irrelevant.
    I would love to see generative grammar extended into those realms.
 What I am usually told, instead, is that generative grammar was never
intended to be a pedagogical grammar,  that it tells us what native
speakers know unconsciously but not how to put a conscious understanding
of that into useful practice. It has, in fact, not advocated that the
grammar be brought into a conscious understanding.
     What are we left with if the only ACCURATE linguistic grammar is
fundamentally disinterested?  Are we left with a choice between a
dysfunctional traditional grammar and nothing at all?
     Are you at all surprised that some of us would find answers to
these questions in SFG, even value SFG because it seems to address our
interests and concerns?
    I hope this doesn't come across as argumentative.  I don't think
these problems will be solved by the triumph of one camp over the other.
 We need, in fact, to open up to each other and learn from each other.

Craig