ATEG Archives

August 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:57:20 -0400
I included some material on the s/c contrast between verbs and nouns in an English morphology paper I did a few years ago.  Eric John Dobson's English pronunciation 1500-1700 (Clarendon Press 1968) demonstrated that up into the 17th c. the c/s orthographic contrast reflected a fortis/lenis pronunciation contrast (voiceless/voiced in more popular but inaccurate terms).  The contrast was productive and was reflected in spellings like abuce/abuse, sence/sense, cloce/close, tence/tense, chooce/choose, refuce/refuse, enterprice/enterprise.  The spelling convention pretty much disappeared by 1700, with just a few forms persisting.  I remember being taught in my Lutheran parochial school to spell licence and license differently for the noun and the verb, also for defence and defense.  Interestingly, the OED lists both forms for each word in the entry for the verb but lists them in the order given above. Quotations in the definitions indicate that, at least for these two words, spelling and word class did not line up consistently.

Herb